Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The REAL Ghostbusters

I've been watching the old Ghostbusters cartoons and they are really good. It makes some sense considering the show was Emmy nominated, but I guess I just expected it not to hold up like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and other childhood favorites. I'm getting an anime vibe with a western twist from the series, if that makes any kind of sense.

Ryan asked what big storylines are left to tackle after the first film. This fan favorite episode about Ragnarok, the final destiny of gods, is an interesting start. And Ryan, I think you may even like it more because a romance is central to the plot.



I miss this kind of storytelling in a children's cartoon.

2 comments:

SuiginChou said...

If they attempted to make this cartoon today, it would be blocked by parent groups that feel that this level of religion, demonism, witchcraft, etc is not appropriate for a children's cartoon. The pentagram? The devil in the skies? Jeremy, possessed by a malevolent force he welcomed into his own heart? It just wouldn't fly. :(

But you're absolutely right: this is a kid's show with the sort of plot we've come to expect in recent years from adolescent or teen programming. Really quite sad how low TV's fallen. I blame your beloved Ren & Stimpy. :P (Not joking!)

Cathy said...

Did you know that the animated TV series was based on the 1984 film Ghostbusters. I will definitely buy the dvds collection