Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Roger Ebert and I Are Homies Now

Ebert allowed my comment on his blog. That means we're like best friends now, right?

The consummate film critic recently reviewed Ben Stein's odious tract Expelled and dutifully ripped it to shreds, albeit with a somewhat strained metaphor. (Read my review) And since I get such an ego maniacal kick out of reading my own words, I thought I'd reproduce my comment here:

The forced connections between Darwin, an agnostic, and Hitler, a Catholic who dabbled in the occult, are so strenuous that it is utterly baffling that they continue to be made by creationists and intelligent design proponents. Darwin taught us about the way nature selects evolutionarily beneficial traits for survival; Hitler and his insidious regime sought an artificial genocide to select their own favorite traits. Artificial selection has been understood and practiced long before Darwin ever came to the scene. To conflate evolution by means of natural selection with the racist, homophobic, and antisemitic prejudices that have been around since the dawn of civilization is simply shameful.

0 comments: