Friday, June 27, 2008

Blockbuster Beckons



I think I need medication for my anxiety. My muscles are tight and I'm unnerved over my job situation. I actually feel sick, like there's a knot in my stomach. On the one hand, I've grown accustomed to work at the movie theater. In fact, I enjoy it. On the other hand, the pay is lousy.

Blockbuster is offering a position for 7/hr. I'm making 5.80/hr at the theater (soon to be 6.30/hr). Just like the theater, they want my weekends. I'd like to work both jobs, but I'd also like some of my weekend back.

So there's my dilemma. Do I accept with Blockbuster, where I'm paid more but will likely enjoy less, do I stick with the theater, which I enjoy, but I am underpaid, or do I try to work some deal in which I work both?

And furthermore, just what the hell am I doing with my life?


4 comments:

SuiginChou said...

I wouldn't work at Blockbuster for $15/hr given what we know about it from our own observations and our friends who have worked there. Blockbuster may have more floorspace than Ritter's, but the thing is, an employee at Ritter's is constantly going from Point A to Point B to Point G to Point D, etc, and so no point ever gets too old and the employee never feels like a caged bird. Blockbuster? You've got Desk #1, Desk #2, or the backroom. Have fun, because "YOU'RE SCARING THE CUSTOMERS!" if you try to kill time waltzing between the aisles looking at the movies. And I bet that gets pretty fucking old pretty fucking fast, too.

$5.80 sucks, but the thing is, so does $7. No contest: stick with the theater while working towards a happy answer for that last question.

Dan said...

Agreed. I might say go for Blockbuster if they were offering something worth while, but a $0.70 raise really doesn't amount to much.

Jay said...

Dang? Really? I've just about accepted the position. Maybe I'll have to rethink it.

SuiginChou said...

At this point I would say do both or just the theater. Whatever you do don't just do Blockbuster. GIVE YOURSELF AN OUT, OR RATHER, DON'T BURN BRIDGES IN CASE YOU NEED TO RETREAT.